Laundry soap, softener, bleach, laundry soaks, stain removers. There are so many options that it can be hard to choose the right one and, even worse, it can get pricey. One of the all-time best laundry products is plain old white vinegar.
Vinegar is renowned for use in cleaning almost everything from windows to dishwasher interiors. And, as anyone who lives in an area with hard water can tell you, its acidic properties make it a great de-scaler for kettles, shower heads, faucets, and anywhere else you get a build-up of minerals. But did you know that it also has many uses in the laundry room? It’s true!
- Vinegar as a fabric softener: Vinegar can actually be used as a fabric softener. It will help to remove lint from clothes and it will get your clothes softer, and without all the mystery chemicals found in many of the off-the-shelf products. Not only that, white vinegar costs much less! If you have a front load washing machine, simply add one cup of vinegar into the soap dispenser. For a top loading machine, just add it at the beginning of the cycle.
- Vinegar removes lingering odours: There are some clothes that never do smell quite right, no matter how many times you wash them. That can happen when bacteria get stuck in the fibres. The vinegar, as it softens the fabric, will also kill those bacteria to remove those lingering odours. Just add a cup into your load for fresh-smelling, odor-free clothes.
If you are dealing with sweat odor, add one tablespoon of vinegar to 8-1/2 ounces of warm water. You can then use a sponge to apply the mixture directly on the affected area. Then rinse the garment and put in your washing machine and wash it as usual.
- Vinegar to kill the mold: Summer has arrived! It is that time of the year you can finally wear clothes that were put away for months. But clothes that were stored for a long period of time can get a strange moldy odor. Mold is a type of fungus and is made of small organisms. The good news is that these fungi are not immortal. Just like bacteria, they can be killed with vinegar.
Soak the items in a container with one cup of vinegar and enough water to fully cover and leave in soak for at least an hour. Then, wash it as normal in your washing machine.
- Bye-bye stains! Vinegar can be a great ally when it comes to removing some stains out of your clothes. Mix one cup of water with three tablespoons of vinegar and two tablespoons of liquid dish detergent. Put the mixture on the stain and scrub. Use this pre-treatment on your clothes for a few minutes then add the pieces into your load and wash as normal.
- Discolouration and staining: Unfortunately, white clothes are not always just white. Some garments have colourful elements that can stain the white portions. Vinegar is a great solution to fix colors. Leave the piece soaking for ten minutes in a mixture of one to two cups of vinegar and enough water to cover the garment completely. Then wash it normally. This is good for new clothes that are being washed for the first time, to preventing fading or avoid staining.
Of course, you should always read and follow the washing instructions labels on clothes and other washable items for best results.
BONUS TIP: Cleaning your washing machine with Vinegar!
An easy way to clean the inside of the washing machine is to simply put two cups of vinegar and let it execute a complete cycle, without clothes or soap. It will wash away soap residues and disinfect. This process works best for periodic cleaning.
If your washing machine has a build-up, fill it up with very hot water, and add 2 gallons of white vinegar. Start the cycle but stop at the 8 to 10-minute mark, turn off your machine and leave the mixture there overnight. The next day, empty the machine and run a normal cycle.
A properly-running washing machine is, of course, the most important part of doing laundry. For the very best in repair and maintenance of your washing machine and all your major appliances, call the experts at C&W Appliance Service at (855) 358-1496 or (214) 358-1496.